Early source for the office of Saint Denis

A fragment with chants of a Dionysius office from the benedictine monastery Niederaltaich survived in the Austrian National Library (Cod. 612). Bernhard Bischoff dates the fragment into the 3rd quarter of the 9th cent., German handwriting. There are also some paleo-frankish neumes.
Here are the chants:
A 1.1. [Ad hanc vocem Christi] (cao1243; PL 106, 46A), V. Pari confessione fidei (cao1243a; PL 106, 46A)
A 1.2. Nec illud silendum est quod (cao3866; PL 106, 49B)
A 1.3. ? (not readable, unknown)
W 1. Iusti autem* (cao8112), W 2. Exultent iusti* (cao8070), W 3. Beati qui habitant* (cao7960)
R 1.1. Post passionem domini (cao7402; PL 106, 23D), V. Qui cum immin[ere suas] (cao7402a; PL 106, 25A)

The texts are based on the Passio s. Dionysii episcopi Parisiensis of Hilduin from Saint-Denis (about 840). Only some years later a text compilation with melodies for the office apperars in Niederaltaich [there are some connections to the court of King Louis the German].

Has anybody an idea of the text of the 3rd antiphon? I wasn't able to find it whether in CANTUS nor in Patrologia latina.

cod00612_Neumen.jpg

cod00612-1.jpg

cod00612-1.JPG

You need to be a member of Musicologie Médiévale to add comments!

Join Musicologie Médiévale

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Don't forget my edition of St Dionysius, Rusticus & Eleutherius historiae in the collection HISTORIAE, 2002

I proposed a stemma with distinctive variants, probably corresponding to a differenciation between West (Francia occidentalis) and East (future Romano-Germanic Empire) : some can be seen in the R/ Post passionem

• In Paris, B. Mazarine 384 we have the AN Nec illud (f 173v, b17) underneath a text comparable to A3 but it seems to be a verse-text. Fatentes merita

• I too thought it to be Fatentes merita.  This is the 'post-Hilduin' version of the night office.  It's now edited in Michael Lapidge, Hilduin of Saint-Denis, The Passio S. Dionysii in Prose and Verse ( Mittellateinische Studien und Texte 51: Brill, Leiden, 2017).  On Vienna 612 see his p. 820-21 (but here just relying on the Bischoff entry and my transcription from the ms). 

• Thanks!

• Et aussi dans l'antiphonaire de Saint Denis (Paris, lat. 17296)

Il s'agit d'un Verset d'antienne 

9126838100?profile=original

• On retrouve cette pièce dans le Graduel de St-Denis (PARIS, Bibliothèque Mazarine 384)

9126812693?profile=original

This reply was deleted.