Le tropaire séquentiaire de la région d'Auch, selon Michel Huglo part d'un groupe des tonaires qui se trouve dans les livres de la cathédrale autour de Toulouse, a les tîtres bizarres pour les sections de l'oktôéchos:

- Autentus protus auctoritas prima (fol. 104r)
- Plagi protus filius IIII (fol. 105v)
- Autentus tritus Tonus III (fol. 106v)
- Tritus Tonus IIII (fol. 107v)
- Plagi tritus Tonus V (fol. 109r)
- Plagi tritus VI (fol. 110r)
- T[et]ardi auctoritas Tonus VII (fol. 111r)
- Plagi tetardi Tonus VIII (fol. 112v)

1271824295?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024Paris, Bibliothèque nationale, fonds latin, ms. 1118, fol. 109-110

Ma question concernant la section du premier "Plagi tritus" serait que la note finale de l'intonation soit FA ou SOL?

You need to be a member of Musicologie Médiévale to add comments!

Join Musicologie Médiévale

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Thank you very much for this excellent transcription and "scusa lapsus", Luca!

Honestly I do not know. I found every explanation and the correction according to the standard psalmody by Luca most convincing. You might compare it with the other tonaries of the same group. Here you have the tonary of the Gradual of the Abbey St Gaillac d'Albi which is only fragment, but the Autentus tritus has still survived on its last page:

9126740476?profile=originalParis, Bibliothèque nationale, fonds latin, ms. 776, fol. 154v

It might somehow provide an answer to all our questions (you find the other manuscripts with tonaries in the internet, unfortunately only a few pages of the gradual belonging to the cathedral St Étienne of Toulouse were published by the British Library). On the other hand, I find the beautiful tonary of the troper sequentiary (Pa 1118) much more interesting. It starts with a particular figura oscillating between SOL and FA which is especially designed for the introit Circumdederunt. You will find nothing like that in Albi (second section). The last figura with AMEN is dedicated to introits which start on the fifth degree c and have medial cadences on a, the next figura with the whole psalmody treats similar melodies among the communiones. So Luca is absolutely right, if he argues that all chant incipits belong to examples which have all the finalis on F and belong quite obviously to the authentic F mode or tonus quintus.

This is not the case, if we compare it with a certain section of the alia musica compilation. It looks rather like a division, which could indeed differentiate two plagi triti, the one which use a very particular ambitus (F—c, G—c) outside the mainstream theory, and another which uses a very huge ambitus which goes far beyond the authentic octave F—f, but also down to the plagal fourth C—F.

• Ja, das ist auch sehr interessant! Wie würden Sie "Quinque prudentes" transkribieren? Ich kenne die Melodie, daß sie nicht über c geht. Hier geht sie höher und kehrt, ähnlich wie in der Neumafassung von NEOEANE, zu FA zurück. Bei der kleinen Doxologie aber setzt der Notator bei "Sicut erat" neu an, offenbar aus Platzgründen.

I would like to know how you would like to transcribe "Quinque prudentes"? The melody seems to me slightly different as usual. In the response of the psalmody the scribe continues lower, but it is still G—a—c without any doubt.

With ruler and protractor I would say f sharp, with lots of problems that is, of course. ;-)

F sharp? How would you explain this?

• With ruler and protractor I would say f sharp, with lots of problems that is, of course. ;-)

• Von den Abständen der Punkte her plädiere ich - bei allen Problemen - für SOL

Herzliche Grüße

Franz Karl Praßl

• Michel Huglo avait transcrit E (do) — A (la) — NE (fa), mais j'ai transcrit dans ma thèse doctorale comme Dominique et il me semblait, que Michel qui avait écrit le rapport, aimait mon idée. Il avait transcrit aussi sol, mais c'était la version avec un neuma. Là, l'intonation finit sur SOL, mais la prochaine ligature du neumacommence sur FA et finit sur FA.

En fait, il scribe doît être tromper plusieurs fois selon Luca. Bien sûr, les sections de l' «Autentus tritus» et du «Tritus» suivaient la convention que le tonus tertius et le tonus quartussont sur MI, et la section suivante commence avec l'intonation "NOEAGIS" avec une mélodie characteristique qui suit la règle d'user la quart plagale C—F.

Vous pourriez étudier tout le manuscrit en ligne et il y a aussi beaucoup d'autres tonaires aquitains. Vous trouvez tous les liens ici:

https://gregorian-chant.ning.com/group/melos/page/chantres-aquitains

Pour comprendre mieux, je vais ajouter une autre discussion sur une passage sur le même sujet pris de la compilation alia musica, aussi présent dans quelque manuscrits des abbayes associés à Cluny.

• Bonjour, Oliver,

Je pencherais pour SOL!

This reply was deleted.