Resources for medieval musicology and liturgy
Time: September 30, 2017 at 10am to October 1, 2017 at 2pm
Location: JSKD (Ljubljana) and Pleterje Charterhouse (Pleterje)
Street: Cankarjeva ulica 5, Ljubljana, and in the Pleterje charterhouse
City/Town: Ljubljana / Pleterje
Event Type: workshop
Organized By: Cristina Alís Raurich
Latest Activity: Sep 4, 2017
The “štimance” (acoustic vases) in the church of Pleterje, which until today remain a fascinating acoustic phenomenon, were originally intended for the spoken and sung liturgy of the Carthusian community of Pleterje. It is almost impossible to appreciate their real role in the performance of music without knowing their original context and function. At the workshop, Gregorian chant will be presented in its Carthusian variant and with the medieval sources from the Slovenian charterhouses. Special stress will be given to the Gregorian modality. We will focus on the characteristics of the so-called Pythagorean tuning which was the basic tuning of the medieval monophony, including Gregorian chant.
The workshop will be carried out in English and Slovenian languages.
- Gregorian chant: some theoretical premises and the tradition of the Carthusian chant (& sources from Slovenian monasteries)
- monochord, the only instrument of the Carthusians (they could use it for practicing, but not directly in the liturgy)
- modality (8 modes explained in short, working in more detail on the pieces from the modes 1 or 8)
- Pythagorean tuning
- professionals: singers, keyboard players, other musicans
- anybody who wants to learn more about Gregorian chant
ca. 10 hours, 3-4 hours theory, the rest will be practice (combined with some theory) in the place of the course and then in the Carthusian church with "štimance"
- Cristina Alís Raurich, pianist, historical keyboard player (medieval music specialist) and researcher (PhD student at the University of Würzburg and Schola cantorum Basiliensis)
- Katarina Šter, medieval music researcher, singer, specialist in the Carthusian medieval chant
The workshop will take place
in the rooms of JSKD,
Cankarjeva ulica 5, Ljubljana,
and in the Pleterje charterhouse
Saturday, September 30
10.00 – 13.00 and 15.00 – 18.00
Cankarjeva ulica 5, Ljubljana
Lunch is not included in the fee.
Sunday, October 1
10.00 – 14.00
Transport to Pleterje is not included in the fee; but it can be arranged between participants.
REGISTRATION and INFO
Add a Comment