According to my research conducted in the Netherlands, the authentic rhythm of Gregorian chant in the 10th century includes both proportional elements and elements that are in agreement with semiology (see Van Kampen, 1994, 2005).

Starting with the expectation that the rhythm of Gregorian chant (and thus the duration of the individual notes) anyway adds to the expressivity of the sacred Latin texts, several word-related variables were studied for their relationship with several neume-related variables, exploring these relationships in a sample of introit chants using such statistical methods as correlational analysis and multiple regression analysis.

Besides the length of the syllables (measured in tenths of seconds), each text syllable was evaluated in terms of its position within the word to which it belongs, defining such variables as ‘the syllable has (1) or hasn’t (0) the main accent’, ‘the syllable is (1) or isn’t (0) at the end of a word’, etc., and in terms of the particular sounds produced (for instance, the syllable does (1) or does not (0) contain the vowel ‘i’). The various neume elements were evaluated by attaching different duration values to them, both in terms of semiological propositions (nuanced durations according to the manner of neume writing in Chris Hakkennes’ Graduale Lagal, 1984), and in terms of fixed duration values that were based on mensuralistic notions, however with ratios between short and long notes ranging from 1 : 1, via 1 : 1.2, 1 : 1.4, etc. to 1 : 3. To distinguish short and long notes, tables were consulted that were established by me in an unpublished comparative study regarding the neume notations according to St Gallen and Laon codices. With some exceptions, these tables confirm the short vs. long distinctions in Cardine’s 'Semiologie Gregorienne'.

The lengths of the neumes were given values by adding up the duration values for the separate neume elements, each time following a particular hypothesis concerning the rhythm of Gregoriant chant. Both the syllable lengths and the neume lengths were also expressed in relation to the total duration of the syllables, resp. neumes for a word (contextual variables). Correlating the various word and neume variables, substantial correlations were found for the word variables 'accented syllable' and 'contextual syllable duration'. Moreover, it could be established that the multiple correlation (R) between the two types of variables reaches its maximum (R is about 0.80 !) if the neumatic elements are evaluated according to the following ‘rules of duration’:

(a) neume elements that represent short notes in neumes consisting of at least two notes have duration values of 1 time;

(b) neume elements that represent long notes in neumes consisting of at least two notes have duration values of 2 times;

(c) neumes consisting of only one note are characterized by flexible duration values (with an average value of 2 times), which take over the duration values of the syllables to match.

It is interesting that the distinction between the first two rules and the latter rule can also be found in early treatises on music, introducing the terms metrum and rhythmus (see, e.g., Wagner, 1916; Jeannin, 1930). As it could also be demonstrated by me (in fact confirming data published by Reese, 1940) that melodic peaks often coincide with the word accent, the conclusion seems warranted that the Gregorian melodies enhance the expressiveness of the Latin words by mimicking to some extent both the accentuation of the sacred words (pitch differences between neumes) and the relative duration of the word syllables (by paying attention to well-defined length differences between the individual notes of a neume).

Dr. Dirk van Kampen

- Dirk van Kampen (1994). Het oorspronkelijke ritme van het Gregoriaans: Een ‘semiologisch-mensuralistische’ studie. Landsmeer, the Netherlands.

- Dirk van Kampen (2005). Uitgangspunten voor de ritmiek van Gregoriaans. Tijdschrift voor Gregoriaans, 30, 89-94.

You need to be a member of Musicologie Médiévale to add comments!

Join Musicologie Médiévale

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Ricossa a dit :

In fact, the neumes of St Gallen give a very particular rythm for this hymn. It can be summarized in the following way (I cite the strophes because the first part is sung slowly and in a more ornamented --still rythmic-- way) :

De pa / re - en / ti - is
    proto / pla -a / sti - i
    fraude / fa - a / cto - or
    condo / lens.
    quando / pomi / noxi / a - a / li - is
    morsu in / mo - or tem / corru / it

ipse / lignum / tunc no / ta - a / ui - it
    damna / li - i gni ut / solue / ret

The syllables are organised in binary way, but mortem and ligni_ut are in a ternary measure.
    And the first part follows a pattern wich is different from the second part :

. . _ _ . . _ _
    . . _ _ . . _

. . . . . . _ _
    . . _ . . . _

etc...

Indeed, that is what I read in the musical text. But the poem is in trochaic dimeters: _ . _ _ /_ . _ _ , the second trochaeus of each foot is changed to a spondaeus, and I see no irregularity. In "Vexilla Regis" the verses are iambic trimeters in which the first iambus is changed to a spondaeus, and it is difficult to see that the music matches to the verses, but it does not do the contrary of the verses, as it is in "Pange lingua". Urban VIII wrote another text for "Vexilla Regis" in the 17th century and he also respected that verses. So, what happened since Urban VIII?

• Jacques,

You are absolutely right regarding Dom Cardine's position.

Dirk

• Dr. Dirk van Kampen a dit :

Cher Jacques,

Je présume que votre message au sujet de la durée des deux notes appartenant à la quadratus pes vs les rotundus pes , et les clivis avec épisème vs les clivis sans épisème est destinée à nous informer que les notes longues et courtes montrent des différences proportionnelles dans l'ordre de 2: 1 et que ce phénomène est souligné à la fois par Cardine et par les théoriciens médiévaux comme Guido d'Arezzo et Aribo. En effet, c'est précisément ce qui est toujours mis l'accent dans les traités musicaux du Moyen Age, mais de nombreux 'modernes' gregorianists semblent avoir «oublié» ce simple fait. Parfois, ils affirment que ces différences proportionnelles ne reflètent que l'adhésion à la théorie de la musique de la Grèce antique, mais cela ne peut pas être la seule source. Comme Rayburn (1986) a déjà indiqué, cette attitude 'est incroyable, car certainement les moines et les écrivains du neuvième siècle en savait plus sur le sujet à portée de main, que ceux des XIXe et XXe siècles, ils étaient des moines qui chantaient chaque jour dans le chœur de la musique très à propos desquels ils écrit. Et, bien sûr, mes propres recherches corrobore fortement le 2: 1 distinction pour les notes en neumes composés de plus d'une note, parce que la relation entre les éléments musicaux et textuels devient alors maximisé.

Dirk van Kampen

PS Avez-vous reçu mon adresse email?

Cher Ami,

Oui, j'ai reçu votre adresse e-mail et je vous répondrai personnellement, avec plaisir. Je suis tout à fait d'accord avec vous, sauf que D. Cardine ne voulait absolument pas admettre qu'il y a des rapports mesurés comme 2/1 entre les notes chantées ! J'ai lu ses écrits, l'ai connu, ai suivi un stage avec lui où il dirigeait les chants, discuté avec lui et écouté les CD de ses élèves (puisque lui-même n'en a enregistré aucun). Il disait qu'il y a une "valeur syllabique moyenne" et que les variétés neumatiques n'indiquent que de très petites différences entre les notes. En somme il restait fidèle à l'équalisme solesmien. La "valeur syllabique moyenne" est une autre appellation du "temps premier" emprunté par Dom Pothier à la métrique antique et sur lequel se fonde aussi la théorie de Dom Mocquereau.

THE AUTHENTIC RHYTHM OF GREGORIAN CHANT - BETWEEN MENSURALISM AND SEMIOLOGY
    According to my research conducted in the Netherlands, the authentic rhythm of Gregorian chant in the 10th century includes both proportional element…
  • Dear Jacques,

I presume that your message about the duration of the two notes belonging to the pes quadratus vs. the pes rotundus, and the clivis with episema vs. the clivis without episema is meant to inform us that long vs. short notes show proportional differences in the order of 2 : 1 and that this phenomenon is stressed both by Cardine and by medieval theorists like Guido of Arezzo and Aribo. Indeed, this is precisely what is always emphasized in musical treatises of the Middle Ages, but many ‘modern’ gregorianists seem to have ‘forgotten’ this simple fact. Sometimes, they assert, that such proportional differences only reflect the adherence to antique Greek music theory, but this simply can’t be the only source. As Rayburn (1986) has already indicated, this attitude ‘is incredible, for certainly the monks and writers of the ninth century knew more about the subject at hand than did those of the nineteenth and twentieth centuries; they were monks who sang every day in choir the very music about which they wrote.’ And, of course, my own research corroborates strongly the 2 : 1 distinction for notes in neumes composed of more than one note, because the relationship between musical and textual elements then becomes maximized.

Dirk van Kampen

PS Did you receive my email address?

• Ricossa a dit :

Jacques VIRET a dit : Je ne vois pas en quoi les antiennes de l'office constitueraient un cas à part. Elles seraient donc différentes, quant à l'organisation rythmique, de celles de la messe, introïts et communions ? Cette distinction me paraît arbitraire, et justifiée ni par l'analyse musicale ni par des critères liturgiques.

mais l'analyse le montre en toute clartée, au point qu'on peut retrouver les neumes à partir de l'antienne (je l'ai fait en classe devant mes élèves et avec eux). Les syllabes des antiennes s'organisent par groupes de deux (parfois une syllabe étant prolongée sur deux temps), et cela est impossible à faire avec les antiennes de la messe.

Vous choisissez sans doute des antiennes de style simple, mais je ne vois pas en quoi les antiennes de Magnificat, plus ornées, se distinguent de celles de la messe. Pourquoi le degré d'ornementation modifierait-il la nature du rythme chanté, du moment que les paroles sont toujours en prose ? Un même texte peut être traité de manière plus ou moins ornée. Oui, les syllabes se groupent souvent par deux : deux syllabes dans un temps de la pulsation (comme je l'ai expliqué tout à l'heure).

According to my research conducted in the Netherlands, the authentic rhythm of Gregorian chant in the 10th century includes both proportional element…
  • Une base pour le rythme de la mélodie vocale (grégorienne ou autre) est ce que Paul Claudel a appelé l'iambe fondamental (ou trochée) : le "temps" de la pulsation se partage en deux syllabes, a priori égales, ou bien inégales (soit métriques, soit non métriques) : "U-ne / pou-le / sur un / mur", "Freu-de, / schö-ner / Göt-ter- / fun-ken / Toch-ter / aus E- / ly-si- /um" (dans les poèmes hymniques les notes inégales, longue-brève ou brève-longue). En grégorien cette structure binaire correspond à un pes quadratus ou à une clivis épisémée, puisque – comme l'a signalé D. Cardine – ces neumes peuvent, dans des antiennes composées sur un même timbre, se répartir par diérèse sur deux syllabes. Or, comme un temps dure environ une seconde, en fonction des réflexes rythmiques spontanés, chaque note de ces deux neumes dure à peu près une demi-seconde ; et les deux notes du pes rotundus et de la clivis simple durent ensemble environ une demi-seconde, selon le rapport de durée (2/1) indiqué par Gui d'Arezzo (et Aribon).

• Dear Monsieur Ricossa,

I have also used Chapter 15 of Guido’s Micrologus to look for his ideas about the rhythm of Gregorian chant. In my opinion, this chapter shows a certain similarity – at least for us living in the 21st century – with the famous Rorschach test: Everybody sees what he likes in the same blot. Moreover, Guido’s chapter was written in the 11th century, so I prefer comments from earlier days, like, for instance, those of Remigius of Auxerre and Aurelianus of Réomé (both 9th century), or those contained in the Instituta Patrum de Modo Psallendi sive Cantandi (10th century) that all refer to the distinction between rhythmus and metrum (see also Wagner, 1916, 1921), already mentioned by such authors as Cassiodorus (6th century) and Isidor of Sevilla (7th century). Of course, the various metrum-related assertions about the duration of longs and shorts, the former being twice the length of the latter, in such treatises as the Commemoratio Brevis de Tonis et Psalmis Modulandis and the Scholia Enchiriadis (both 10th century) are also of importance here. Hence, my own use of Guido’s Micrologus was not so much intended to unravel the secrets of Gregorian rhythm, but to see whether Chapter 15 may result in an interpretation that at least reasonably accords with my views on the rhythm of Gregorian chant that are based on a reading of the above-mentioned comments and treatises in combination with statistical investigations. In my opinion, such an interpretation is indeed possible (but offers no proof). However, I can’t judge from your account whether you would agree with my interpretation. Unfortunately, I published my interpretation of Guido’s Chapter 15 in Dutch, so, I suspect, there is no real basis for a comparison of your and my views …

Best,

Dirk van Kampen, PhD 

• Ricossa a dit :

La grande distinction est entre Metrum, Metrici cantus et Prosaici cantus (Gui d'Arezzo), Metrum étant les hymnes, metrici cantus les chants avec texte en prosa mais traités comme s'ils étaient métriques (il s'agit de la presque totalité des antiennes de l'office) et les prosaici cantus, où les longues et les brèves s'agencent librement (les répons de l'office, les chants de la messe).

Ma réponse : Je ne vois pas en quoi les antiennes de l'office constitueraient un cas à part. Elles seraient donc différentes, quant à l'organisation rythmique, de celles de la messe, introïts et communions ? Cette distinction me paraît arbitraire, et justifiée ni par l'analyse musicale ni par des critères liturgiques.

• Merci pour cette discussion, elle apporte des éléments de réponse à une question que je me pose depuis longtemps :

comment se fait-il que l'habitude actuelle de chanter le grégorien rende l'alternance des syllabes accentuées et non accentuées des vers scolastiques, comme dans les séquences, mais pas l'alternance des longues et des brèves des vers classiques, comme dans les hymnes de Saint Venance Fortunat? Comment faut-il lire, par exemple, la notation habituelle du "Pange lingua", qui met des neumes sur la plupart des courtes, et pas sur la plupart des longues?

Bien à Vous,

Maylis Ribette

Thank you fo this discussion which brings elements answering to one question that I have since a long time:

What happened, that made that today, when we sing a gregorian piece, we respect the syllable alternance accented/unaccented, as they are in scholastical verses such as those in sequencies, but not the alternance between long and short, as the syllables are in classical latin poems such as Saint Venantii Fortunati hymns? For example, how should I read the current notation of "Pange lingua", in which neumes are often on short syllables and rarely on long ones?

Best regards,

Maylis Ribette

• I'm waiting for a "Mensuralist Chant Manual". Is that ever going to be written? 

Best regards,

This reply was deleted.