Musicologie Médiévale

Resources for medieval musicology and liturgy

Watch, touch & listen: Lagal, Braille & Bonum

Finally I finished scanning the Graduale Lagal (1984-1990; 493 pp). Although most semiologists will consider it a curiosum, it was 27 years ahead of its time preluding the Graduale Novum (2011) and exposing nearly all semiological wisdom since, including melodic corrections and a intuitive visual proportional notation.

By optical braille recognition I also finished scanning the Graduale Romanum printed in double-sided braille in the Netherlands (1934-1940; 2066 pp). Contrary to the Gradual Lagal here no images, but machine-readable text-files that can be read with the fingers on a braille bar.

Through my site you can also listen to the streams of all 151 editions of Bonum est so far; a radioprogram on chant in a broad sense, including 12 programs made with Oliver Gerlach, at least 10 programs closely related to the Mozarabic rite and many programs about other chant traditions and alternative performance pratices.

¿¿¿ Earlier this year I stopped making Bonum est. When someone would be interested to continue the program please contact me. It is not necessary to live in the Netherlands or to speak dutch. ???

Gregoriana Amsterdam 

Views: 675

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We should also mention that Concertzender (unfortunately) deleted most of the episodes (according to a mysterious spirit of censorship), and they also vandalised certain descriptions in the so-called "gidstekst" (announcements).

I gave up the idea to refer to these pages...

It seems that they are in an urgent need of a competent administrator!

I also think that a channel called "Gregorian chant" is an outdated concept (also with respect to your way to do radio programmes...)

I think you are wrong. There is no "censorship" and they did not delete anything.

They are just updating their site. In September it should be finished. Unfortunately "chant" has to suffer till September.

(Nearly) everything can be heard and read through the Dutch link: Het is goed

Nevertheless I think you have some point in your "outdated" statement. However, I think it is also true that chant is and always will be (it simply is part of its essence) slow, instead of hip, fast and booming. That would be a good reason to continue it in the old fashioned way.

Just try your list and tell me, how many among these links do work.

Until now, they did not react to your hint which you gave two months ago. Do you think it is because they are fast and hip?

I have to correct myself, right now they solved many of the problems which still existed two days ago.

Graduale Lagal, as a one-man job, is a great achievement.

Even the old links do work as aliases, so I was not forced to update links as I was some months ago.

If you did miss some episodes during the last weeks,  it is working again now.

Thank you so much, Geert, you've done us all a great service by scanning the Graduale Lagal, which was rarely available to buy second hand.  Unfortunately part 2 won't download for me.  Has anyone else had this problem?  Is the pdf file corrupt?

Concertzender is still having the same problems, especially for the English links.

So, when something does not work properly here: Bonum est - English

Try the same link in Dutch here: Bonum est - Dutch

You will only miss the translation. I hope by the end of September these problems are solved.


Oliver Gerlach said:

Even the old links do work as aliases, so I was not forced to update links as I was some months ago.

If you did miss some episodes during the last weeks,  it is working again now.

Thank you Christopher. I solved the problem. The pdf was indeed corrupt. Please let me know when you see other problems.

Christopher Hodkinson said:

Thank you so much, Geert, you've done us all a great service by scanning the Graduale Lagal, which was rarely available to buy second hand.  Unfortunately part 2 won't download for me.  Has anyone else had this problem?  Is the pdf file corrupt?

And don't forget to tell our blind friends that the Graduale Romanum finally is online in Braille. Actually it is the pre-Vatican edition, so it even has more chants. I hope to make an index some day, so it will be more useful for modern practice.

I was actually referring to the old links I used for the English/Italian/German scripts on my academia.edu account. They do work, although they are not up-to-date (so-called "aliases")!

But thank you for enligtening me that you also translated the list into English.

I think the novum of concertzender is, that you can now also find the bonum est episode episodes on the app of concertzender (try for example "Samuel Benaroya" which was our most successful episode).

Thank you, Geert!

Geert Maessen said:

Thank you Christopher. I solved the problem. The pdf was indeed corrupt. Please let me know when you see other problems.

Christopher Hodkinson said:

Thank you so much, Geert, you've done us all a great service by scanning the Graduale Lagal, which was rarely available to buy second hand.  Unfortunately part 2 won't download for me.  Has anyone else had this problem?  Is the pdf file corrupt?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Partnership

Listen chants of the day with

and your logo here...

We need other partners !

----------------------------------

Soutenir et adhérer à l'Association Musicologie Médiévale !

Support and join The Musicologie Médiévale Association!


for
MMMO

       

© 2021   Created by Dominique Gatté.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service