Watch, touch & listen: Lagal, Braille & Bonum

Finally I finished scanning the Graduale Lagal (1984-1990; 493 pp). Although most semiologists will consider it a curiosum, it was 27 years ahead of its time preluding the Graduale Novum (2011) and exposing nearly all semiological wisdom since, including melodic corrections and a intuitive visual proportional notation.

By optical braille recognition I also finished scanning the Graduale Romanum printed in double-sided braille in the Netherlands (1934-1940; 2066 pp). Contrary to the Gradual Lagal here no images, but machine-readable text-files that can be read with the fingers on a braille bar.

Through my site you can also listen to the streams of all 151 editions of Bonum est so far; a radioprogram on chant in a broad sense, including 12 programs made with Oliver Gerlach, at least 10 programs closely related to the Mozarabic rite and many programs about other chant traditions and alternative performance pratices.

¿¿¿ Earlier this year I stopped making Bonum est. When someone would be interested to continue the program please contact me. It is not necessary to live in the Netherlands or to speak dutch. ???

Gregoriana Amsterdam 

You need to be a member of Musicologie Médiévale to add comments!

Join Musicologie Médiévale

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Since yesterday Concertzender has a new site: Concertzender.

Some of these minor problems will be fixed soon.

• Thank you, Geert!

Geert Maessen said:

Thank you Christopher. I solved the problem. The pdf was indeed corrupt. Please let me know when you see other problems.

Christopher Hodkinson said:

Thank you so much, Geert, you've done us all a great service by scanning the Graduale Lagal, which was rarely available to buy second hand.  Unfortunately part 2 won't download for me.  Has anyone else had this problem?  Is the pdf file corrupt?

Finally I finished scanning the Graduale Lagal (1984-1990; 493 pp). Although most semiologists will consider it a curiosum, it was 27 years ahead of…
  • I was actually referring to the old links I used for the English/Italian/German scripts on my academia.edu account. They do work, although they are not up-to-date (so-called "aliases")!

But thank you for enligtening me that you also translated the list into English.

I think the novum of concertzender is, that you can now also find the bonum est episode episodes on the app of concertzender (try for example "Samuel Benaroya" which was our most successful episode).

• And don't forget to tell our blind friends that the Graduale Romanum finally is online in Braille. Actually it is the pre-Vatican edition, so it even has more chants. I hope to make an index some day, so it will be more useful for modern practice.

• Thank you Christopher. I solved the problem. The pdf was indeed corrupt. Please let me know when you see other problems.

Christopher Hodkinson said:

Thank you so much, Geert, you've done us all a great service by scanning the Graduale Lagal, which was rarely available to buy second hand.  Unfortunately part 2 won't download for me.  Has anyone else had this problem?  Is the pdf file corrupt?

Finally I finished scanning the Graduale Lagal (1984-1990; 493 pp). Although most semiologists will consider it a curiosum, it was 27 years ahead of…
  • Concertzender is still having the same problems, especially for the English links.

So, when something does not work properly here: Bonum est - English

Try the same link in Dutch here: Bonum est - Dutch

You will only miss the translation. I hope by the end of September these problems are solved.

Oliver Gerlach said:

Even the old links do work as aliases, so I was not forced to update links as I was some months ago.

If you did miss some episodes during the last weeks,  it is working again now.

Gregoriana Radio - Bonum est
  • Thank you so much, Geert, you've done us all a great service by scanning the Graduale Lagal, which was rarely available to buy second hand.  Unfortunately part 2 won't download for me.  Has anyone else had this problem?  Is the pdf file corrupt?

• Even the old links do work as aliases, so I was not forced to update links as I was some months ago.

If you did miss some episodes during the last weeks,  it is working again now.

• Graduale Lagal, as a one-man job, is a great achievement.

• I have to correct myself, right now they solved many of the problems which still existed two days ago.

This reply was deleted.