Resources for medieval musicology and liturgy
The Greek monastery of St-Elias and St-Anastasius of Carbone was founded at the end of the 10th century, when Greek monks came from Calabria and set up in Basilicata. King William II promoted its abbot to archimandrite of the Greek monasteries of Basilicata. It declined in the 13th and 14th centuries, gradually lost its Greek character and since 1474 was submitted to commendatory abbots. The commendatory abbots Giulio Antonio Santoro, Paolo Emilio Santoro and Giovanni Battista Pamphili, who ruled the monastery from 1570 to 1644, and Pietro Menniti, general abbot of the Basilian order at the end of the 17th century, permitted to preserve many Greek and Latin deeds from the 11th century to the beginning of the modern age ; these documents (originals, copies, translations) are scattered in the Archivio Doria Pamphili (Rome), the fondo Basiliani of the Archivio Segreto Vaticano and other archives, or preserved in ancient editions (in particular in the book of P. E. Santoro). The oldest part of the collection was published in 1928-1930 by Gertrude Robinson, but in a very unsatisfactory edition. Walther Holtzmann and Gastone Breccia published some deeds. We propose to give a complete scientific edition of all the Greek and Latin deeds of this bilingual collection, the most important for the history of medieval Basilicata and of the Greek monasticism in Italy.