This is data from Mount Athos Repository LINK

Manuscript No: 0074

ΛΑΜΠΡΟΥ 23

Content:

Μουσικό χειρόγραφο - Στιχηράριο.
φφ. 1r-126v: Στιχηρὰ ἰδιόμελα τῶν ἑορτῶν τοῦ Μηνολογίου (Inc. "...ὑμνοῦσί σε, Κύριε· σῦν αὐτοῖς δὲ Μιχαὴλ ὁ ἀσώματος...").
φφ. 127r-216v: Στιχηρὰ ἰδιόμελα τῶν ἑορτῶν τοῦ Τριῳδίου καὶ τοῦ Πεντηκοσταρίου (Inc. "Μὴ προσευξώμεθα φαρισαϊκῶς, ἀδελφοί...").
φφ. 217r-222r: Ἐξαποστειλάρια σὺν τοῖς θεοτοκίοις καὶ τὰ στιχηρὰ τὰ ἑωθινὰ τῶν ια΄ εὐαγγελίων (Inc. "Τοῖς μαθηταῖς συνέλθωμεν ἐν ὄρει Γαλιλαίας...").
φφ. 222r-227r: Στιχηρὰ ψαλλόμενα κατὰ ἀλφάβητον, ἐν δὲ τοῖς θεοτοκίοις· Ἰωάννου μοναχοῦ (Inc. "Ἀγαλλιάσθω ἡ κτίσις· οὐρανοὶ εὐφραινέσθωσαν...").
φφ. 227r-241r: Στιχηρὰ ἀναστάσιμα (Inc. "Εὐφράνθητε οὐρανοί· σαλπίσατε...").
φφ. 241r-247v: Ἀκολουθία τῶν ἀναβαθμῶν (Inc. "Ἐν τῷ θλίβεσθαί με εἰσάκουσόν μου...").
φφ. 247v-257v: Στιχηρὰ προσόμοια ψαλλόμενα τῇ ἁγίᾳ καὶ μεγάλῃ Τεσσαρακοστῇ (Inc. "Τὸν τῆς νηστείας καιρὸν φαιδρῶς ἀπαρξώμεθα...").
φφ. 257v-268r: Στιχηρὰ δογματικὰ τῶν ὀκτὼ ἤχων (Inc. "Τὴν παγκόσμιον δόξαν τὴν ἐξ ἀνθρώπων...").
φφ. 268r-275v: Στιχηρὰ σταυροθεοτοκία καὶ διάφορα ἄλλα στιχηρὰ (Inc. "Ἐν πεύκῃ καὶ κέδρῳ καὶ κυπαρίσσῳ...").

Description from the Lambros catalogue:

1. Δοξαστάριον (ακέφ.) Νοεμβρ. η' ─ Αυγ. λα'.
2. Τριώδιον.
3. Πεντηκοστάριον.
4. Θεοτοκία.
Άπαντα μετά φωνών διαστίχων.

You need to be a member of Musicologie Médiévale to add comments!

Join Musicologie Médiévale

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• (Stathis 1993, pp 401-403)

Stathis 74, end of the 12th - begin the 13th century.

Notation Coislin. 

scriber: None

• Thank you.

Polykarpos Polykarpidis said:

(Stathis 1993, pp 401-403)

Stathis 74, end of the 12th - begin the 13th century.

Notation Coislin. 

scriber: None

Μουσικό χειρόγραφο - Στιχηράριο from Karakallou Monastery
    This is data from Mount Athos Repository LINK Manuscript No: 0074 ΛΑΜΠΡΟΥ 23 Content: Μουσικό χειρόγραφο - Στιχηράριο. φφ. 1r-126v: Στιχηρὰ ἰδιόμελα…
  • I think that it is Coislin V-VI

The θ (i.e. Thematismos) has all the basic signs.

• Dear Andrija

I think the whole page of Holy Mount Athos is very remarkable:

https://repository.mountathos.org/jspui/browse-content?location=20....

And some good news, after the pretty bad news that the National Library of Athens has shut down completely the access to its very precious collection of Late Byzantine akolouthiai, anastasimataria, sticheraria and heirmologia, it is good to know about this wonderful collection of Athonite manuscripts online which could so far only studied in black and white by microfilms provided at the library of Mone Vlatadon (close to upper part of the Byzantine wall of Thessaloniki).

The manuscript you chose is particular interesting as is the monastery Karakallou, one of the Albanian monasteries on Holy Mount Athos. I am irritated by the descritpion, the datation and the classification of the notation. The repository says that it was written between 1101 and 1300, but it seems they meant between 12th and 13th centuries out of Gregorios Th. Stathes’ datation who said it was written around 1200 (by the end of the 12th century/ the beginning of the 13th century).

This datation is mainly based on the notation which does not really seem to be Middle Byzantine notation, but a highly developed form of Coislin notation (from a late period when also Chartres notation was no longer used at the scriptoria of Mount Athos), I also hint at the odd modal signatures and Wolfram’s study of them in the context of Old Byzantine notation:

Wolfram, Gerda. «Modulationszeichen in der paläobyzantinischen Notation.» In Studi di musica bizantina in onore di Giovanni Marzi, a cura di Alberto Doda, 6:33–44. Studi e testi musicali ; nuova ser. Lucca: Libreria musicale italiana, 1995.

The description also confused me: 125 folios for the two thirds of the menaion is quite a few space! Already on folio 39 verso, there is a rubric which says these are idiomela of the end of August (obviously it meant SAV 373 on 27 December to celebrate the Protomartyre Stephanos, there is an alternative custom to celebrate him in August, but it would be 2 August, rather the beginning). But even for November and December just 39 folios is pretty few, there must be many lacunes.

One last remark, the number 74 appears quite often in this database, it is obviously not a local collocation of Mone Karakallou.

Mount Athos Repository: Search
  • Thank you Oliver.

Oliver Gerlach said:

Dear Andrija

And some good news, after the pretty bad news that the National Library of Athens has shut down completely the access to its very precious collection of Late Byzantine akolouthiai, anastasimataria, sticheraria and heirmologia, it is good to know about this wonderful collection of Athonite manuscripts online which could so far only studied in black and white by microfilms provided at the library of Mone Vlatadon (close to upper part of the Byzantine wall of Thessaloniki).

The manuscript you chose is particular interesting as is the monastery Karakallou, one of the Albanian monasteries on Holy Mount Athos. I am irritated by the descritpion, the datation and the classification of the notation. The repository says that it was written between 1101 and 1300, but it seems they meant between 12th and 13th centuries out of Gregorios Th. Stathes’ datation who said it was written around 1200 (by the end of the 12th century/ the beginning of the 13th century).

This datation is mainly based on the notation which does not really seem to be Middle Byzantine notation, but a highly developed form of Coislin notation (from a late period when also Chartres notation was no longer used at the scriptoria of Mount Athos), I also hint at the odd modal signatures and Wolfram’s study of them in the context of Old Byzantine notation:

Wolfram, Gerda. «Modulationszeichen in der paläobyzantinischen Notation.» In Studi di musica bizantina in onore di Giovanni Marzi, a cura di Alberto Doda, 6:33–44. Studi e testi musicali ; nuova ser. Lucca: Libreria musicale italiana, 1995.

The description also confused me: 125 folios for the two thirds of the menaion is quite a few space! Already on folio 39 verso, there is a rubric which says these are idiomela of the end of August (obviously it meant SAV 373 on 27 December to celebrate the Protomartyre Stephanos, there is an alternative custom to celebrate him in August, but it would be 2 August, rather the beginning). But even for November and December just 39 folios is pretty few, there must be many lacunes.

One last remark, the number 74 appears quite often in this database, it is obviously not a local collocation of Mone Karakallou.

Μουσικό χειρόγραφο - Στιχηράριο from Karakallou Monastery
    This is data from Mount Athos Repository LINK Manuscript No: 0074 ΛΑΜΠΡΟΥ 23 Content: Μουσικό χειρόγραφο - Στιχηράριο. φφ. 1r-126v: Στιχηρὰ ἰδιόμελα…
  • Dear Oliver,

Thank you for this description. This is really good news, because we still wait NLB to back his repository. This is another tool for search of this repository LINK

Oliver Gerlach said:

Dear Andrija

Athonic Digital Ark
  • The correct collocation:

χγ. Δ 74 λαμ 23 π 33

• 9126904472?profile=original

• 9126906056?profile=original

• Thank you, Polykarpos, this is a very helpful description, obviously offered by Stathes:

Thus, the description:

1. Δοξαστάριον (ακέφ.) Νοεμβρ. η' ─ Αυγ. λα'.
    2. Τριώδιον.
    3. Πεντηκοστάριον.
    4. Θεοτοκία.
    Άπαντα μετά φωνών διαστίχων.

might be reformulated this way:

1. incomplete menaion between 8 November (beginning with SAV 202) and 31 August (ff. 1r-119r) with an appendix for 11 later added idiomela (ff. 119r-126v)
    2. triodion (ff. 127r-193r) with the holy week and the ἀκολουθία τῶν ἁγίων παθῶν (f.174v) including Easter Sunday (f.191v)
    3. pentekostarion (ff.193r-217r) beginning with Antipascha (Sunday of Thomas)
    4. oktoechos (ff.217r-275r) with stichera heothina cycle, alphavetika (f.222r), anastasima (f.227r), anavathmoi in oktoechos order (f.241), Lenten proshomoia (f.247v), dogmatika (f.257v), stavrotheotokia (f.268r)
    5. appendix (f.275) with two later added idiomela of the triodion (Holy Week)

Some general remarks:

Note that a reasonable resolution is only available until f. 26v, the rest is almost unreadable, especially notational signs can only be guessed. There is an official remark that they should be soon replaced “with reproductions in high resolution”. With other manuscripts, it is the same!

The window is very small and its size cannot be modified. There is also no option for a full screen view!

The reproductions cannot be accessed from the second site you mentioned (only the descriptions), unless you use the handle link which I recommend for descriptions here.

It seems that this page about cultural heritage of Holy Mount Athos is at the very beginning. If you search for “στιχηράριο” you get 9 hits: 3 of Mone Karakallou, 3 of Mone Xenophontos, 2 of Mone Dionysiou (one Mathematarion dominated by Ottoman contributors like Panagiotes the New Chrysaphes, Balasios, Bereketis etc. which is rare!), 1 of Mone Zographou and Mone Stavroniketa.

This reply was deleted.