Antique double flute (Auction)

Le 25 juin prochain aura lieu une vente à Toulouse dans laquelle sera présenté cette pièce :

"Longue Flute double en terre cuite Classique ancien Récent 250-1000 ap.J.C. ,collage 28,2cm"

Peut-être que certains Toulousains pourrons aller voir l'instrument de près (clin d'oeil à Troubadour31...)

Je dois dire que je suis plutôt septique de la date qui est donnée...

Qu'en pensez-vous ?

Lien vers l'annonce

You need to be a member of Musicologie Médiévale to add comments!

Join Musicologie Médiévale

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Does 250-100 ap. J.C. mean 250-1000 of our era? In which case it's about right. There are quite a number of double flutes of pottery from the area of that age, as well as later ones. The later ones tend to be more decorated. 

Musically speaking, it's nothing like the European ones. The bottom two holes will have practically no effect on the tone. The second pair by the look of it will only produce a semitone higher note. 

There is a very interesting book on South American pre-Colombian musical instruments, that goes into the tonal systems of that area (not quite the same as this, which I suppose is Mexican, but not that far removed).(Dale Olsen: the music of El Dorado). Why I mention this is because in his investigation of hundreds of flutes he found that there seems to be no attempt at any kind of musical scale as we understand it to have been made.

To sum up, I think it's genuine, and the date is right...Of course, it can be a well-made fake, but in that case more than probably based on a real original.

This reply was deleted.