Utrecht Universiteitsbibliotheek (NL-Uu)

Hs. 416 (Hs 2 F 4)
XIV (1375-1400) ▪ Evangeliarum in usum Ecclesiae S. Petri Trajecti ad Rhenum, lectures avec neumes et accents, passions avec lettres de hauteur de récitation. 186v-187v Liber generationis..., 189v Puer natus in Bethleem… à deux voix, notation à clous sur lignes

You need to be a member of Musicologie Médiévale to add comments!

Join Musicologie Médiévale

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• If I can attach, here is the version from the Prague manuscript, pretty reliably dated to the early 14th century.

• Thank you very much David !

David Fallows a dit :

The upper voice is plainly the same as the melodies printed in Analecta Hymnica...

Utrecht : new source polyphonic of Puer natus in Bethleem
    Utrecht Universiteitsbibliotheek (NL-Uu) Hs. 416 (Hs 2 F 4) XIV (1375-1400) ▪ Evangeliarum in usum Ecclesiae S. Petri Trajecti ad Rhenum, lectures av…
  • The upper voice is plainly the same as the melodies printed in Analecta Hymnica, i.195 (from Prague) and i.196 (from Jistebnicz). But since the two voices exchange their ranges in the middle, plainly it is a two-voice piece: no wonder those two melodies in AH looked meaningless.

• Last version of my transcription: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/25848931/Puer%20Natus02.pdf

It's a nice little piece!

• Brussels Ms. II 270, fol. 137v-138r ("Handschrift Koning"). A similar kind of notation with minims and puncta instead of semibreves and breves.

9126791662?profile=original

• Yes maybe one of these virga as a minim and the other not !

Niels Berentsen a dit :

Perhaps this could be another solution for b. 15-17. I'm not sure, as it means interpreting one of these virga as a minim and the other not.

Utrecht Universiteitsbibliotheek (NL-Uu) Hs. 416 (Hs 2 F 4) XIV (1375-1400) ▪ Evangeliarum in usum Ecclesiae S. Petri Trajecti ad Rhenum, lectures av…
  • Perhaps this could be another solution for b. 15-17. I'm not sure, as it means interpreting one of these virga as a minim and the other not.

9126790894?profile=original

• [Update] OK. If we assume this is homorhythmic (at least that syllables fall on the same place) this should be the result approximately.

To me it looks rather fifteenth century, especially if I'm right about that dot in b. 16, what do you all think? Anyhow, I don't think this is an entirely 'mensural' notation, but one in which you should read the neumes in differening lengths. Writing two puncta instead of an imperfect breve is also a kind of 'amateur' solution to imperfection.

As for minims, Dominique, did you have a look at Brussels Ms. II 270, eg. fol 137v (Dies est leticie). There are minims there, but the mensural situation is a bit clearer than here I'd say. 9126817857?profile=original

• oui, j'ai bien eu ton mail ;)

c'est en réponse à lui que je fais la transcription !

Anne Azéma a dit :

YEAH Dominique et merci! A

• YEAH Dominique et merci! A

This reply was deleted.

Partnership

and your logo here...

We need other partners !

----------------------------------

Soutenir et adhérer à l'Association Musicologie Médiévale !

Support and join The Musicologie Médiévale Association!

for
MM & MMMO