Utrecht Universiteitsbibliotheek (NL-Uu)

Hs. 416 (Hs 2 F 4)
XIV (1375-1400) ▪ Evangeliarum in usum Ecclesiae S. Petri Trajecti ad Rhenum, lectures avec neumes et accents, passions avec lettres de hauteur de récitation. 186v-187v Liber generationis..., 189v Puer natus in Bethleem… à deux voix, notation à clous sur lignes

You need to be a member of Musicologie Médiévale to add comments!

Join Musicologie Médiévale

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Thanks for satisfying the curiosity of yours truly :)

• No trace of them in Prague, which I posted. Nor in the other one.

• They do make a nice cross shape indeed. Could be interesting to check these other sources, to see if - conceivably - there are missing parts.

• No: only that single voice in Prague (and in the other AH melody); but it seemed to me -- and I'm happy to be contradicted -- that the crossing of the two voices results in a piece that makes sense, whereas the gradual falling range of the voice you call 'tenor' results in a meaningless melody.

• Maybe the voice I labeled 'tenor', which is also the one from Prague, circulated as a monophic piece? (Or did I miss that you also found the other voice in AH?)

• No: I wasn't questioning the date of the copy (though, as you say, it can be seriously hard to tell); merely stating my view that the polyphony existed in the early 14th century, even though the source has only one voice and none of the mensural indications.

• Perhaps Ulrike Hasche-Burger could say a bit more about this, but this type of 'semi-mensural' repetoire from the Low Countries is very conservative, in other words it might be 15th century as well. From the counterpoint I find it hard to tell.

• Thanks for sharing all these pieces, very interesting. AA

• Phew: it seems to be there. The mensuration here is all my own, but the pitches and the text underlay are from the MS. In my view, the two-voice piece was there at the beginning of the 14th century.

• Sorry: I don't know how to attach. Dominique, or somebody, can you tell me now to download a pdf file into this space? 

Puer natus Prag - Full Score.pdf

This reply was deleted.

Partnership

and your logo here...

We need other partners !

----------------------------------

Soutenir et adhérer à l'Association Musicologie Médiévale !

Support and join The Musicologie Médiévale Association!

for
MM & MMMO