Musicologie Médiévale

Resources for medieval musicology and liturgy

Utrecht Universiteitsbibliotheek (NL-Uu)

Hs. 416 (Hs 2 F 4)
XIV (1375-1400) ▪ Evangeliarum in usum Ecclesiae S. Petri Trajecti ad Rhenum, lectures avec neumes et accents, passions avec lettres de hauteur de récitation. 186v-187v Liber generationis..., 189v Puer natus in Bethleem… à deux voix, notation à clous sur lignes

Views: 1054

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Dominique,

This looks interesting. Did you do some research on it already?

Domnique - je te fais un message privé concernant cette annonce. A bientôt. A

I have not found concordance. I am surprised to see a minims amidst the neums in the second voice.

To me it seems to be some kind of hybrid notation, parts of it very much remind me of the so-called stroke notation which appears, among others, in the Gruuthuse manuscript.

This kind of mixed notation very often appears in sources of the Devotio Moderna. 

It looks like a typical devotional song in triple time (double dots are equivalent to imperfect breves).

Is anyone attemption a transcription?

For a comparison, see for instance this piece from the so-called "Handschrift Tongeren" (ca 1480)

the Hufnagel notation of "Handschrift Tongeren" looks like NL-Uu Hs. 416 (this is the most widely used notation in this region, since the XIIcentury), but what is interesting is the use minims.

I'm doing a transcription !

Niels Berentsen a dit :

For a comparison, see for instance this piece from the so-called "Handschrift Tongeren" (ca 1480)

YEAH Dominique et merci! A

oui, j'ai bien eu ton mail ;)

c'est en réponse à lui que je fais la transcription !

Anne Azéma a dit :

YEAH Dominique et merci! A

[Update] OK. If we assume this is homorhythmic (at least that syllables fall on the same place) this should be the result approximately.

To me it looks rather fifteenth century, especially if I'm right about that dot in b. 16, what do you all think? Anyhow, I don't think this is an entirely 'mensural' notation, but one in which you should read the neumes in differening lengths. Writing two puncta instead of an imperfect breve is also a kind of 'amateur' solution to imperfection.

As for minims, Dominique, did you have a look at Brussels Ms. II 270, eg. fol 137v (Dies est leticie). There are minims there, but the mensural situation is a bit clearer than here I'd say.

Perhaps this could be another solution for b. 15-17. I'm not sure, as it means interpreting one of these virga as a minim and the other not.

Yes maybe one of these virga as a minim and the other not !

Niels Berentsen a dit :

Perhaps this could be another solution for b. 15-17. I'm not sure, as it means interpreting one of these virga as a minim and the other not.

RSS

Partnership

Listen chants of the day with

and your logo here...

We need other partners !

----------------------------------

Soutenir et adhérer à l'Association Musicologie Médiévale !

Support and join The Musicologie Médiévale Association!

for
MMMO

© 2021   Created by Dominique Gatté.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service