Le manuscrit 86 de la Bibliothèque municipale d'Avranche est une collection d'œuvres de saint Augustin provenant du scriptorium de l'abbaye du Mont-Saint-Michel.

Des folios 1r à 2v nous trouvons le fragment d'un missel de la première moitié du XIème siècle.

Au folio 1r nous pouvons voir l'introit Karitas dei diffusa... surmonté de deux rangées de neumes français ; nous pouvons alors penser qu'il pourrait s'agir d'un organum parallèle, nous pouvons voir à partir de inhabitantem... des mouvements contraires entres les deux rangées de neumes ce qui serait une preuve d'un organum.

Avranche, Bibliothèque municipale (F-AVR)

Ms 86

1r extrait

1r complet

Voir le manuscrit numérisé sur la BVMM

Transcription proposée par Solomon R Guhl-Miller  :

You need to be a member of Musicologie Médiévale to add comments!

Join Musicologie Médiévale

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Thank you for your interpretation.

I am not so sure concerning the parallel organum (it might be unison as well), the f sharp was rather used later in florid organum, and only exceptionally as a discordant concordance (I agree rather with your first version, where you used b flat). In fact, the cantors of Saint-Maur-des-Fossés rather obeyed the «vis organi» (the pivotal tone which Guido defined as the beginning of occursus). I suggest there are some changes between unison and occursus, thus, the organum starts rather surprisingly...

• I'd like to offer an alternative interpretation here, one that begins with parallel fourths instead of unisons.  But I found that when I did this, I had to switch the voices, placing the vox organalis on top, or else the voices would exceed the range of the fourth.  

Oliver Gerlach, thank you for the link to your thesis.  It was very useful, and after reading that and Michel Huglo's article in Forum Musicologicum 3, I would agree that this style does resemble the Saint Maur organa more than the Winchester organa.

9126803681?profile=original

• Cher Dominique erreur de manipulation
    Je vous remercie pour cette mise en ligne je vais mettre cette courte pièce à notre répertoire
    Par ailleurs je viens de faire 2 sessions passionnantes:
    à Tours celle de Daniel Saulnier avec une évidence: nos chants anciens n'étaient pas tous monodiques loin s'en faut
    À Moissac avec Marcel Pérès : les Vêpres de Saint Jacques apprises par Frédéric Tavernier-Vellas
    Depuis très longtemps je m'intéresse et m'investis dans le Gregorien et le chant ancien à 72 ans je commence à comprendre un peu .... qu'il me reste tout à apprendre, c'est un vrai bonheur
  • It is online:

http://ensembleison.de/publications/organum.html

Solomon R Guhl-Miller a dit :

Where can I read your master's thesis?

Das Organum-Projekt
  • Where can I read your master's thesis?

Oliver Gerlach a dit :

I think you have done a very nice work!

But the way of doing organum as well as the notating hand and its way to write down the organum reminds me less of Winchester than of the cantors at Saint-Maur-des-Fossés (see chapter 2 of my master thesis, section "Guidos Micrologus und die Organa von Saint Maur"), therefore I listed this discussion in the group "Autor de Cluny". Of course, there are colleagues who do not like the question of a Cluniac influence, but it was Guillaume de Volpiano's school (relevant also for the foundation of Mont Saint-Michel), if we like it or not...

New Organum (c11th) from the Mont-Saint-Michel.
    Le manuscrit 86 de la Bibliothèque municipale d'Avranche est une collection d'œuvres de saint Augustin provenant du scriptorium de l'abbaye du Mont-S…
  • For the re-foundation of Mont Saint-Michel to be precise...
  • I think you have done a very nice work!

But the way of doing organum as well as the notating hand and its way to write down the organum reminds me less of Winchester than of the cantors at Saint-Maur-des-Fossés (see chapter 2 of my master thesis, section "Guidos Micrologus und die Organa von Saint Maur"), therefore I listed this discussion in the group "Autor de Cluny". Of course, there are colleagues who do not like the question of a Cluniac influence, but it was Guillaume de Volpiano's school (relevant also for the foundation of Mont Saint-Michel), if we like it or not...

• Thank you very much Solomon for your transcription !

Solomon R Guhl-Miller a dit :

With much thanks to Dominique for sharing this...

New Organum (c11th) from the Mont-Saint-Michel.
    Le manuscrit 86 de la Bibliothèque municipale d'Avranche est une collection d'œuvres de saint Augustin provenant du scriptorium de l'abbaye du Mont-S…
  • With much thanks to Dominique for sharing this, I'd like to offer a tentative transcription of the organum - also appearing in the Facebook group "The Lost World: Group for the Study of Early Western Polyphony 900-1100."  (Though I'd be grateful to see Christian Meyer's transcription if he made one)  As there are no guiding letters like there are in the Winchester Troper, which indicate half steps among other things, this transcription represents one of several possible interpretations.  Between the voices, I kept to the boundary of the 4th, and compound neumes are indicated by slurs.  This is not meant to be a definitive interpretation, but a jumping off point for conversation on theory and practice in early organum.  Please let me know what you think.9126458472?profile=original

• En effet, j'avais donné à Christian Meyer en cette source en avril 2012 pour le pré-inventaire du cmn.

Gérard BOULANGER a dit :

Le thème de notre session était "Chant sacré de la Normandie Ducale" et je cherchais des pièces dans les sources normandes.  J'ai trouvé celle-ci dans le Catalogue des Manuscrits Notés...

This reply was deleted.

Partnership

and your logo here...

We need other partners !

----------------------------------

Soutenir et adhérer à l'Association Musicologie Médiévale !

Support and join The Musicologie Médiévale Association!

for
MM & MMMO