Replies

• I guess that Geert is alluding to this very unloved child pointing at the poor quality of the reproduction. Nice coloured print editions of the facsimile will become unavailable after a few decades, and their quality will not last like the original, even if some European librarians take more care for the facsimile editions than for the real manuscripts.

If the Vatican was more seriously interested in its own tradition, this manuscript would have been the first coloured reproduction of the whole Vatican Library collections, in a quality which was in fact established as a new and insuperable standard at Grottaferrata, the atelier and school of Italian restaurators which also did the reproductions for Benevento and for the local collection of the Abbey. Whenever I was forced to asked for the original manuscript, there was very few I could see more, sometimes the photographies even helped me to see certain details better.

In this comparison this publication is worse than a bad joke!

I will not repeat the discussion that we already had here, but Andreas Pfisterer as well as Michel Huglo regarded this book as the only one of the Schola cantorum that we have, and concerning many liturgical details it is in fact among all Old Roman sources the most interesting one, which we should discuss here in the very detail.

It was written after those liturgical reforms of the 11th and the 12th centuries which tried to establish Gregorian chant in Southern Italy, due to the influence of French and German speaking monasteries which educated certain Reform Popes. Fortunately, they did not succeed, but I wished there would be more colleagues to be proud of this little, but very complex historical fact!

Index : Graduale Santa Cecilia in Trastevere
    Ms C 74 Fondation Martin Bodmer, Bibliotheca Bodmeriana Graduale Santa Cecilia in Trastevere http://gregorien.info/manuscript/folio/77/fr/1 Pour cha…
  • Dear mr Gatté,

Thanks for this MS copy. In what Century has this been written down? I Guess around 9-th C? according to the Neumen of maybe used in St Gallen, Laòn or some of the Roman Chorister-schools, Under Charles Magne all-over N-Europe, Before the 3- 5- line staff, by Guido Arrezzo.... 11-th C......

• Bravo. Finally. In real Catholic quality. Once my camera was ripped for taking much better pictures from this manuscript. I am interested in the "fautes" you mention Luca, because they are probably also in my databse.

This reply was deleted.