Canon Chantilly

Here you have a very familiar and famous Canon. I have several versions of it, and all of them agree. I have perused the anterior motet (Belle, Bonne, Sage) and the semicircle with a crossed line is a mensuration sign. In BBS that sign indicates the return to normal tempus perfectum (Apel 425). But in the Canon, Does indicate where the canon has to start? It is obvious that this piece is a Canon and that sign appears in the Tenor too, indicating the repetition of it. If I am right, it's very surprising why the same sign in the same manuscript has a different meaning. If I am not right, How do I know where the Canon starts? 

The rest of the signs are pretty clear, although Apel does not develop the explanation of 8/9 in BBS, I suppose that it means novenaria to octonaria...

Thank you in advance

You need to be a member of Musicologie Médiévale to add comments!

Join Musicologie Médiévale

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Je tente de mettre le début d'une diplomatique de 'Belle, Bonne, Sage…' et de 'Tout par compas' pour aider à mieux comprendre le rapport entre Integer Valor et proportion ainsi que mon propos.

Belle Bonne Sage.pdf

Tout par Compas.pdf

https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/9126757487?profile=original
  • Bonjour Manuel, Bonjour à tous,

Quelques remarques et propositions pour vous répondre plus précisément :

1- Le cercle barré (Temps parfait diminué = TPD) n’est pas un signe de ‘mesure’ (ou prolation) à proprement parler, mais un signe de ‘proportion’ (Dupla en l’occurrence). Sa proportion se réfère à la valeur de la minime, laquelle est commune et égale dans les quatre prolations de base (cf. temps parfait prolation majeure, Tps parfait prolation majeure, Tps imparfait prolation mineure, Tps imparfait prolation mineure). La minime est le point de départ pour comprendre les proportions aux 15e siècle. C’est la valeur de référence ou ‘Integer Valor’.

2- A ce sujet, il faut savoir que ce que W.  Apel  nomme ‘Integer Valor’ et qu’il identifie être la Semi-brève dans son célèbre ouvrage est en fait et dans 95% des cas à la minime. C’est un point très important! C’est d’ailleurs logique car étant la plus petite et divisible seulement en deux (à moins d’une proportions particulières) la minime est la seule valeur fixe et celle qui sert dans la structure symbolique numérique des compositions (rappelons que selon la perfection ou l’imperfection, la SB et la B ou la L sont toutes mobiles). Notons que c’est l’une des approximations d’Apel qui, par ailleurs, reste incontournable dans l’abord de ce sujet bien que nombreuses recherches ont abouti depuis 1949.

3- En ce sens, le cercle barré dans les deux pièces inaugurales de Cordier du ms de Chantilly indiquent un ‘Dupla minimae’ en rapport à l’une des 4 prolations. En clair et si l’on préfère, il faudra 12 minimes en ‘TPD’ pour 6 minimes en Temps parfait/prol. majeure, ou 6 minimes en temps imparfait/prolation mineure). Cela peut se vérifier dans les deux pièces. 

4- Ce même signe (cercle barré) signifie donc la même chose dans ces deux pièces et pour toutes les voix où il se trouve! Une simple transcription diplomatique le prouve aisément. Ce qui est particulier dans la chanson cordiforme est que les trois voix commencent ‘par défaut’ en proportion (TPD) et le signe de mesure ordinaire (Temps imperfectum prolatio major) n’arrive à la teneur qu’après les 2 premières brèves. C’était la petite difficulté de ce début, comme souvent on en trouve dans ce genre. 

5- Pour en revenir à ‘Tous par Compas’ (la chanson que vous mettez en ligne ci-dessus), l’entrée du canon est effectivement indiquée par le texte de l’un des rondeaux qui sont inscrits autour du cercle principal (on ne le voit pas dans votre reproduction). Dans le cercle de gauche en haut, le début de la 3e strophe dit : « Trois temps entiers par toi posés chasser me pués ». Traduction :  « après avoir attendu 3 brèves parfaites, tu peux commencer la chasse (canon) ».

Bonne chasse! ;-)

• Thank you for your note. I thoroughly agree with your recommendation of Elizabeth Upton's research.

• Jason: I am in the middle of reading your dissertation and I can say it's a useful and extensive source of information. Thank you for sharing it with us!

I would also like to recommend works of Elizabeth Randell Upton for anyone who's interested in Ms.564. One of her study is available here: http://www.academia.edu/5090755/The_Creation_of_the_Chantilly_Codex...

• Jason: thank you so much. It's a luxury to count on your help and to have that material in the Internet. I will peruse your PhD. Nevertheless, I have got your book's chapter (New Perspectives on the Chantilly Codex)

Best wishes,

Manuel

• Can I refer you to volume 2 of my dissertation where I discuss both songs? It was fortunately selected some years ago for inclusion on the DIAMM web site: 

http://www.diamm.ac.uk/resources/doctoral-dissertations/stoessel/

The first and still easiest to find article on the topic by Bent is:

Bent, Margaret. "The Early Use of the Sign [Vertically Cut O]." Early Music 24, no. 2 (1996): 199-225. 

Best wishes,

Jason

• Incidentally, I have seen that you have written a chapter. I didn't know this book, I will buy it when I can; nowadays I am in dire straits... :-) But the book looks pretty well. 

• Thank you so much Jason for the information. I miss an update book of music notation. Apel's book was published in 1949.

The Margaret Bent's book is this, isn't it?: http://www.brepols.net/Pages/ShowProduct.aspx?prod_id=IS-9782503515

On the one hand, if you are in favor with the cut circle indicates diminution, how would we explain the augmentation in Belle, bonne, sage? On the other hand, I do not see diminution in the Canon when that sign appears. 

A Late Medieval Songbook and its Context: New Perspectives on the Chantilly Codex (Bibliothèque du…
  • When the cut circle appears in early 15th-century notation for music using proportions across parts it usually denotes a proportional relationship with another mensuration, most commonly 2:1 or 1:2, although originally it seems that this sign was just a way of alerting the singer to the "non-standard" use of the mensuration or proportional relationship. AS to whether the relation of minims in the cut circle to those in the dotted circle is diminution or augmentation, depending on which sign is being considered, I favour the conclusion that the cut circle indicates diminution in relation to the dotted circle.

As to where this canon begins, the voices' inscription on a circle presents the performer with an enigma (which might have pleased Cordier), but the clef in each voice is an important cue. There is still a question of whether the upbeat written above the Cantus's initial and even the C breve before the clef in the tenor is in fact the beginning of each voice. At the very least it is a reference point since there both voices are in the same mensuration and equality. Alexander Blanchy provided perhaps the best "solution" several years ago, and discussed some of these issues. In Belle, bonne, sage 8/9 is a proportion - 8 minims in the place of the former 9, which are themselves proportional - all proportions are cumulative in Cordier's songs meaning that they related to the previous mensuration, not the first mensuration.

There been quite a bit of water under the bridge since Apel regarding the cut circle and its various meanings in the early fifteenth century. Margaret Bent wrote a series of essays on this topic, and there has be lively debate from other scholars on this and related issues too detailed to summarise here.

JS 

This reply was deleted.

Partnership

and your logo here...

We need other partners !

----------------------------------

Soutenir et adhérer à l'Association Musicologie Médiévale !

Support and join The Musicologie Médiévale Association!

for
MM & MMMO