Replies

• This "mix" from three hymns (The lucis + Aeterne rerum conditor + Memento salutis auctor) appears with the same text and melody in the Dominican antiphonary published in 1933, so I cannot understand how the text can be attributed to XXI century: it is not an invention of the new liturgy post Vatican Council II...

Thomas Windsor said:

I think the XXI s. is referring to the text, that has been invented for the modern Liturgy of the hours.  I have other books on Dominican chant, and I think that the dates of the melodies come from the dates of the ancient Dominican manuscripts.

Dominican hymn - Te lucis
    Sait-on de quelle époque est la mélodie de cette version dominicaine de l'hymne Te lucis des complies ? Le site  GregoBase indique comme référence : …
  • OK. Thank you for the information. ES

• Hello. The melody is found in the Dominican repertoire as early as the 1250s. I'm not sure it's history before incorporation into the Dominican repertoire, but it is likely older.

Here is the melody used for the Lauds hymn of the Blessed Virgin Mary common:

9126795277?profile=original

(Rome, Santa Sabina, XIV L1, fol. 320r).

The melody would have been used for all the 8.8.8.8 hymns of Mary, including the Te lucis at Compline.

The version you have linked to is the text of the modern Liturgia Horarum; the first and fourth voices are traditional, and the second and third are newly composed in the 1960s/70s.

• I think the XXI s. is referring to the text, that has been invented for the modern Liturgy of the hours.  I have other books on Dominican chant, and I think that the dates of the melodies come from the dates of the ancient Dominican manuscripts.

• Bonjour,

Les dates indiquées sont un peu mystérieuses.

Ex: Mélodie n° 66, hymne Æterne rerum conditor "XXI s. (melody from XIII s.)"

Qu'est-ce qui est du XXIème siècle si ce n'est pas la mélodie? Le texte? Il me semble qu'on l'attribue à St Ambroise…

Thomas Windsor said:

Dominican hymn - Te lucis
    Sait-on de quelle époque est la mélodie de cette version dominicaine de l'hymne Te lucis des complies ? Le site  GregoBase indique comme référence : …
  • 13th c.

https://web.archive.org/web/20160315065444/http://hymnarium.org/mel...

(melody 56)

Melodies
    This page offers sample recordings for each melody used in the Hymnarium. Each entry is given from the Hymnarium Melody Catalogue, and each melody is…
This reply was deleted.

Partnership

and your logo here...

We need other partners !

----------------------------------

Soutenir et adhérer à l'Association Musicologie Médiévale !

Support and join The Musicologie Médiévale Association!

for
MM & MMMO