fragment : date and origin ?

Bonjour a tous.

Can anyone help me with the date and origin of this fragment please.  It looks to me to be from 

an 11/12 C gradual, with its Carolingian script and adiastematic neumes.  It’s the introit for the Easter Sunday mass.  Approximate size is 310 x 210 mm.

It bears a strong resemblance to this one in the library of St. Gall, which is dated 980 - 1000.

However the initial is more of a foliate design than the knotted St Gaul ‘R', and I know little of the chronology of illuminated initial design.

Any thoughts gratefully received.

Andrew Leckie

image001.jpg

image002.jpg

image003.jpg

You need to be a member of Musicologie Médiévale to add comments!

Join Musicologie Médiévale

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• C'est la photographie du manuscrit qui a été vendue et revendue ensuite de nouveau sur ebay pour environ 4500euros... Bref non ce n'est clairement pas un saint Gall désolé ce n'est pas le jackpot... :)

• Très intéressant pour voir ce premier R Catherine.  J'apprécie votre intérêt.

CatherineRAVENNE a dit :

Cette image m'a fait penser au graduel de Ratisbonne (XIe), f°92 v,  j'y retrouve les torculus avec épisème : sum - alleluia

http://orka.bibliothek.uni-kassel.de/viewer/image/1318578645716/1
    Bonjour a tous. Can anyone help me with the date and origin of this fragment please.  It looks to me to be from  an 11/12 C gradual, with its Carolin…
  •   Many thanks for taking the time to outline your thoughts in such detail Franz

Franz Karl PRASSL a dit :

According to my experience:

Late or end of 12th century, southern germany (maybe central?), Austria too.

The type of Pes is more „german“ than St. Gallen, the continuing episema on the virga is a sign of later periods, 

mixing uo punctum and virga is a very late development, too, the minuscula could be more or lass end of 12th c. (depends on the region...)

The use of „Halbtontorculus“ and Torculus with „episema“ (really indicating the note F) is typical for Austrian manuscripts of 2nd half of c. 12. The use of Trigon ecc. is more 12th than 13th c. 

The chants of Easter Sunday procession (selection and order) could be found very often in the southern and eastern regions (Augustinian canons dcc).

Bonjour a tous. Can anyone help me with the date and origin of this fragment please.  It looks to me to be from  an 11/12 C gradual, with its Carolin…
  • Beaucoup de mercis de la réponse

Ricossa a dit :

Je dirais XI siècle, par la forme des signes et les caractéristiques mélodiques. Certainement pas St. Gall
  • Many thanks for the response Eduardo

Eduardo Henrik Aubert a dit :

First half to mid twelfth century (certainly not eleventh, given the text palaeography). Western/Central Germany. Hildesheim?

• Cette image m'a fait penser au graduel de Ratisbonne (XIe), f°92 v,  j'y retrouve les torculus avec épisème : sum - alleluia

http://orka.bibliothek.uni-kassel.de/viewer/image/1318578645716/1

Graduel Ratisbonne f.92v.JPG

• According to my experience:

Late or end of 12th century, southern germany (maybe central?), Austria too.

The type of Pes is more „german“ than St. Gallen, the continuing episema on the virga is a sign of later periods, 

mixing uo punctum and virga is a very late development, too, the minuscula could be more or lass end of 12th c. (depends on the region...)

The use of „Halbtontorculus“ and Torculus with „episema“ (really indicating the note F) is typical for Austrian manuscripts of 2nd half of c. 12. The use of Trigon ecc. is more 12th than 13th c. 

The chants of Easter Sunday procession (selection and order) could be found very often in the southern and eastern regions (Augustinian canons dcc).

• First half to mid twelfth century (certainly not eleventh, given the text palaeography). Western/Central Germany. Hildesheim?

This reply was deleted.